We may think of our kids’ online, mobile, and technological activities as “digital life,” but to them it’s just life. In their world, being able to connect and communicate 24/7 from just about any location is normal. Phones aren’t simply for phone calls anymore but for listening to music, sending texts, filming videos, snapping and sharing photos, and accessing the Internet. Our kids are using computers and tablets to socialize, stream video, and create movies and songs. And they can connect and communicate 24/7 from just about any location.
Why does digital citizenship matter?
Cape Elizabeth School Department (CESD) desires for our students to make good decisions so they can take advantage of the powerful technology that fills their lives both at school and at home. But in order to make good choices, kids must know how the digital world works. The stakes are high because our kids’ technological abilities can be greater than their maturity and judgment. Having unrestricted access to information and people can result in gaining a wealth of information and experiences. But it can also mean accessing inappropriate content and exposure to risks such as:
- Cyber bullying
- Digital relationships
- Compromising their privacy
- Establishing a damaging Digital Footprint
That’s why CESD recommends Common Sense Media to provide resources, tips, videos, and other materials to help parents and teachers keep our students safe in the digital world. When on the Common Sense Media website, click on the Family Guides link in the navigation panel to view and download helpful information on how to encourage your children to become responsible digital citizens.
Digital Citizenship Vision
Every student at CESD will become a responsible digital citizen who knows how to harness the learning potential of digital media in a 24/7 connected world, safely, effectively, ethically, and respectfully.
Common Sense Media
- Common Sense Media is a national organization led by concerned parents and individuals with experience in child advocacy, public policy, education, media and entertainment.
- Common Sense Media mission is dedicated to improving the lives of kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in a world of media and technology.
- Our nation's children spend more time with media and digital activities than they do with their families or in school, which profoundly impacts their social, emotional, and physical development.
- Common Sense Media Website